Tuesday 9 January 2007

Digital Versus Film in wedding photography - Lets get it right



Posted by Olivier Lalin -

After spending a good 15 years shooting film for my weddings and photography in general, I decided to move digital for Color which I am now so exited about ( after having struggled a great deal I admit ) – It gives me a flexibility, a sense of freedom, and security that I never had before – I have always been the type of photographer who would want to process his film in the middle of the jungle to make sure that I was on the right track.

With digital photography, I can now view the images straight away and afford to be more creative. I have dedicated a lot of hours to work flow, photoshop and printing techniques to achieve a result which I am now confident is even better than film for color photography. Regardless, I still use Film and specifically Kodak Tri X for Black and White mainly because I know that no one is ever going to be able to match this quality and spc. The Look of a Black and White argentic image in digital photography. I do love the grain, the quality of the contrast and density that you do obtain if you produce what is commonly called a hand-made print on a beautiful B&W printing paper as again to a machine print. And again, I love using medium format cameras for portraits as well as panoramic format hasselblad camera that do only take film. In a way, I juggle with “ the Old and the New “ to create the best product possible.

I am very proud of my Classical background and thanks ! I have been able to follow the ever changing technologies. I would just want to say that there are not one medium better than the other, rather you have to be able to understand and use the best of both world – and that is where 18 years of experience comes along !!
In a future Blog, I will introduce you to a partner of 15 years and one of my best friend: Toros from Toros Lab in Paris who is one of the most respected fine art Black and White printer in the world.

But more later ....


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

photographe © Olivier Lalin © photographer
view site at weddinglight.com